Keeping your content fresh and up-to-date is an important part of running a successful blog. Finding the inspiration to write new and fresh posts can often pose a problem.
Below is a list of a few sure-fire ways to kick-start your creativity and get you writing:
- Forget Your Focus and Just Write – Not every word you jot down is going to end up in a great piece of writing. One of the greatest ways to get inspired is to forget that you need inspiration. Sit down with a pen and paper, or your computer, and just write without expectations or direction. Free writing like this can create an abundance of brilliant ideas. Don’t concern yourself with making sense or staying on topic, just write whatever comes to mind and then save the results for a later time when they may help to spark your creativity.
- Tamper with Titles – One of the ways I get myself writing when I am in a rut is to create a list of ‘titles’ I want to write. Like headlines in the newspaper I come up with catchy post titles and work from there. I always keep this list handy, adding to it, and completing posts as I go. By writing only the titles you may find yourself creating topics that require deeper research, more creativity, or entirely different perspectives. Every time a catchy title comes to mind jot it down, it may turn into your top post!
- Mind your Memories – When you are in serious need of inspiration it sometimes helps to refer to the ‘good-old-days’. Telling stories has always been a big part of human nature, use stories from your past to enhance your present. Share a great childhood memory, or tell of a time that you overcame a fear, write about your greatest success, or even your crazy Uncle Billy. Your story can become everyone’s story if you take the time to tap into the endless inspiration you hold within your mind.
- Re-write to Ignite – Another simple way to find inspiration and creativity is to review and re-write your older posts. Chances are you have some very old content that could use a bit of a ‘face-lift’, reviewing and re-writing these posts will not only help the overall appearance of your site, chances are it will inspire you to write something new, or expand on an old idea in a new way. In the very least your blog will be fresh and showcasing your best material.
- Read to Write – If you are trying to write about a specific topic it often helps to see what others are writing about it. Often tips I will search a specific topic, quickly view a few articles, and wait for inspiration to strike. If you are not writing about anything specifically then try checking out the top searches today, top news, top tweets, or just hit random websites for inspiration. StumbleUpon is great source of inspiration, taking you to different websites based on your interests. Reading anything will usually help if you keep an open mind and allow yourself creative freedom.
- Remember the Routine – The most basic advice to writers will hold true until the end of time. Make Time To Write! This can not be stressed enough. Having a regularly scheduled writing time will get your mind in gear for writing. Pencil in some writing time everyday to help fight writer’s block. By keeping writing as part of your daily schedule you will not only be forming a good habit for a career, but you will be prompting your creative mind to be ready as well.
The most important thing to remember when you are lacking creativity is to keep searching for inspiration, but don’t overwhelm yourself. If you are getting frustrated move on to something else until you are ready to face the challenge again. Writers on every level suffer from lack of creativity at some point, just keep writing and never give up.
What do you do to beat writer’s block?
Share your tips and tricks in the comment section below.
Until Next Time…
*Questions, comments, or submissions can be sent to: email@example.com*
Possibly Related Articles
- 4 Ways to Get Rid of Writer’s Block (imittcopy.com)
- Finding Inspiration to Write… What to do when you can’t get started. (perfectlyprompted.wordpress.com)
- How to get over writer’s block. (awakeninspiration.wordpress.com)
- Tuesday Tip: Sparking creativity (frootbat31.wordpress.com)
- Writers block… A slightly helpful way to overcome? (awakeninspiration.wordpress.com)
- Writer’s Block: Inspiration No More (thecreativescribbler.wordpress.com)
- Keyboard Creativity (clubcreativestudio.wordpress.com)
- The best way to Defeat Writers Block. (leccoworkshop.com)